Today’s readings: Daniel 5:1-31, 2 Peter 2:1-22, Psalm 119:113-128, Proverbs 28:19-20
Psalm 119:113-128 is all about the spiritual battle facing the Psalmist every day. Let’s look at the first eight verses in this passage.
113 I hate those with divided loyalties,
but I love your instructions.
114 You are my refuge and my shield;
your word is my source of hope.
115 Get out of my life, you evil-minded people,
for I intend to obey the commands of my God.
116 Lord, sustain me as you promised, that I may live!
Do not let my hope be crushed.
117 Sustain me, and I will be rescued;
then I will meditate continually on your decrees.
118 But you have rejected all who stray from your decrees.
They are only fooling themselves.
119 You skim off the wicked of the earth like scum;
no wonder I love to obey your laws!
120 I tremble in fear of you;
I stand in awe of your regulations.
Who challenged the Psalmist in his desire to follow God’s instructions?
- Those with divided loyalties (v. 113)
- Evil-minded people (v. 115)
- All who stray from God’s decrees (v. 118)
- The wicked of the earth (v. 119)
This stands in contrast to the Psalmist’s desire to follow God.
- Those who love God’s instructions (v. 113)
- Those who hope in God (v. 114)
- Those who are committed to obey God (vv. 115, 119)
- Those who trust in God’s provision (v. 116)
- Those who meditate on God’s decrees (v. 117)
- Those who stand in awe of God (v. 118)
I seldom think of the Psalms as prophetic, but clearly the Psalmist is describing the struggles of every faithful believer in history, even continuing to today. I am grateful to hear him address my struggle and I pray for the courage to stand with him and all those who love and trust God, hope in His provision, commit to serve the One who is Faithful and True, and meditate on His ways.
I’m not sure how this is connected, but this song entered my mind as I began to pray this morning. May God bless you today!